Interlibrary loan, also referred to as ILL., is a service used to obtain library materials (books, articles, and audiovisual items) from other libraries when they are not available at our Library. The Ela Area Public Library District provides residents with access to items from other libraries that are not in the CCS Consortium through interlibrary loan (ILL). Interlibrary Loan involves the borrowing and lending of materials among libraries. The service is provided by Library staff on behalf of Ela Library Card holders, following policies and procedures agreed upon by the cooperating libraries.
Every attempt is made to obtain requested materials. If necessary, the search may go out of state for print materials but not out of the United States.
You can request an item at Information Desk or Reference Desk. Delivery time varies depending on availability, so please plan ahead. Most items arrive in approximately ten working days, but others may take several weeks. You will be notified by telephone when your materials arrive at the Library.
Requirements and Restrictions
- Interlibrary loan is only available to Ela Area Public Library District residents. Residents must have a valid Ela library card to request an interlibrary loan.
- There is a limit of 10 items in process per card (this includes items that are in your possession).
- We can only request audiovisual items from in-state libraries.
- The Library will not obtain books from outside of the continental United States.
Article Request Procedures
Article requests can be submitted in person at the Adult Reference Desk, via telephone, fax or email. Please have as much information about the article as possible (i.e. journal title, article title, volume/issue numbers, dates, author, etc.) to ensure accurate and timely results.
Patrons are limited to 5 article requests per month.
Article requests can be a very lengthy process, especially if the journal is held at an academic or out-of-state library. Please make your requests as much in advance as possible, as sometimes the process can take several weeks or months depending on the lending library.
Illinois Library Catalog
Statewide Illinois Library Catalog (SILC) (WorldCat)
The following local library collections are not searchable via the Library's catalog.
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library
- Barrington Public Library District
- Palatine Public Library District
- Schaumburg Township District Library
- Vernon Area Public Library District
- Wauconda Public Library District