What is the Census?
The Census is a population count of the United States that happens every 10 years. The count is mandated by the Constitution and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, a nonpartisan government agency. Each home will receive an invitation to respond to a short questionnaire—online, by phone, or by mail.
Why It Impacts Our Community.
The census provides critical data that lawmakers, business owners, teachers, and many others use to provide daily services, products, and support for you and your community.
When you complete the census, you help:
- Determine how many seats states gets in Congress
- Guide how more than $675 billion in federal funding is distributed to states and communities each year
- Build schools, roads and hospitals
- Create jobs
- Provide housing
- Prepare for emergencies
How Can the Library Help?
Complete the Census on any of the Library's public computers. Attend a Census event for additional assistance or visit www.census.gov.
Census 2020: What's at Stake for Illinois -- CANCELLED
- There is much preparation necessary for a fair and accurate count across the United States. Anita Banerji, Forefront's Director of the Democracy Initiative, shares why the 2020 Census is particularly important for Illinois and discusses the work of the IL Count Me In 2020 coalition and the initiative to count hard-to-reach groups in hard-to-reach places. 7pm Wed., Feb. 19 Register
Census Information and Job Recruitment
- A representative from the Census will be on hand to answer questions and recruit for jobs. Drop in. 6-9pm Wed., Feb. 19
- Use a Library computer to complete your Census. Enjoy Starbucks coffee and snacks. Assistance is available, if needed. Thurs., Mar. 12 – noon-3pm; Wed., Mar. 18 – 2-5pm; and Wed., Apr. 1 – noon-4pm
Explicando Acerca del Censo
- Venga a aprender sobre el Censo 2020, por qué es tan importante que responda, cómo le afectará y obtenga ayuda para completar su cuestionario en este día. 6pm Miercoles, Marzo 18 (NR)
Census Day 2020
- America gets just one chance each decade to count its population. Help us drive self-response and encourage friends and family to complete the Census. Stop by Meeting Room A to complete your self response and receive a special prize. Stickers, Starbucks and snacks are available as well as a counting contest. noon-4pm Wed., Apr. 1
I Count – Storytimes
- Collect the “I Count” Census stickers during our Spring Storytime session (April 7-30). Each week, we will feature a new color. See how many you can collect! April 7-30 (R)