Benefits of a Library Card
With your Ela Area Public Library card, you can …
- Borrow thousands of books, DVDs, CDs and more.
- Research and learn using the library’s online databases and research tools.
- Stream and download music, movies, ebooks, digital magazines and television shows.
- Check out our Library of Things collection.
- Access our Digital Media Labs for podcasts, video production and more.
- Obtain a free library printing card.
- Borrow materials from other public libraries in Illinois.
It all starts with your Ela Library card.
Obtaining Your Library Card
To apply for a library card:
- To obtain an Ela Library card you must live within the Ela Area Public Library District. The district includes most, but not all, of Lake Zurich, Kildeer, Hawthorn Woods, and some surrounding unincorporated areas.
- Bring two forms of identification both showing proof of current address within the Ela Library District to Checkout. One form must have a photo ID.
- Children under 18 must have a parent or guardian present to apply for a library card.
Your Ela Library card expires three years from the date you receive it. To renew your card:
- Bring two forms of identification both showing proof of current address within the Ela Library District.
Any business located in the Ela Area Library District may apply for the Ela Biz Card. The card will be issued to the owner or the principal officer of the business or to an officer who has the authority to assume financial responsibility for assessed fees or fines.
Requests must be accompanied by:
- A document showing proof of responsibility or ownership, such as a tax bill, lease agreement, or utility bill reflecting the name of the business.
- A photo ID.
Loan periods and fines are consistent with that of an Ela Library card.
Teacher cards are available to those who teach in schools within the Ela Area Public Library District. These cards allow teachers to check out materials for classroom use with an extended checkout period of six weeks. Find more information on the Resources for Teachers page.
Using Your Card at Other Libraries
You can use your library card at other public libraries in Illinois as part of the reciprocal borrowing program.
Contact the library you plan to visit to learn how you can use your card at their library.