Passport Processing Tips
The library only processes DS-11 applications. This form is for new passports, minor passports, or long-expired passports.
For more detailed information on any of the following information, please visit the U.S. Department of State website travel.state.gov.
Urgent Need: Call (877) 487-2778 for an appointment at the downtown State Department facility.
What to Bring to your Appointment
To apply for a NEW passport, please bring the following:
- Applicants and relevant parties - All applicants must be present. Children 15 and under need all parents or legal guardians to be present. Teens ages 16-17 should have at least one parent or legal guardian present.
- If the applicant was 15 or younger at the time their previous passport was issued, it is considered a new application, not a renewal.
- Passport application (DS-11) - Applications may be filled out online and then printed single-sided. The library also provides blank applications which must be filled out in black ink only with no white-out. Forms must be completed before your appointment starts. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by the agent.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship - Certified or original birth certificate including parent(s) or legal guardian(s) names, naturalization papers, or a previous fully valid U.S. passport. Parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must provide evidence of parental or legal relationship of minors.
- Valid photo identification - Applicants and parents or legal guardians of applicants under age 16 must have a valid photo ID.
- Current passport photo - Photos can be taken and purchased at your local Walgreens and CVS.
- Fees - Two separate fees are required:
- Passport Fee(s) - Check or money order payable to the “U.S. Department of State” for each passport application.
- Execution Fee(s) - For each application, applicants must pay a $35 execution fee to the library. The library accepts cash, check or money order made payable to “Ela Area Public Library.” You may combine payments to the library in one check or money order if there is more than one application.
This is a general overview and not all situations are covered under these tips. To speak directly to an Ela Library passport agent, call (847) 438-3433 x0.