Effective Date: 03/12
Reviewed and Revised: 09/19
This policy is enacted in compliance with the Illinois Identity Protection Act, 5 ILCS 179/1 et seq. (the “Act”), which requires all local government agencies to draft and approve an identity-protection policy.
In Conformance with the provisions of said Act:
1. All employees who have access to social security numbers in the course performing their duties shall be required to attend training on the protection of confidentiality of social security numbers. The training will include instruction on the proper handling of information that contains social security numbers from the time of collection through the destruction of the information.
2. Only employees who are required to use or handle information or documents that contain social security numbers may access such information or documents.
3. Any request for social security numbers from individuals shall be done in a manner that allows the social security number to be easily redacted if a document is required to be released as part of a public records request.
4. Any request for social security numbers from individuals shall include a statement of the purpose or purposes for which the social security number in being collected and used. (See attached)
5. A written copy of this policy shall be filed with and maintained on file by the Board of Trustees of the Ela Area Public Public Library District.
6. This policy shall be made available to any member of the public upon request.
7. Any amendment to this policy after its initial adoption shall be filed with the Board of Trustees of the Ela Area Public Library District and a copy of the amended policy shall be made available to the Library employees.
Violation of the provisions of the policy by employees of the Ela Area Public Library District shall be grounds for discipline up to and including dismissal.
I have read and understand the Ela Area Public Library District Identity-Protection Policy. Employee Name: ______________________