How It Works
- Sign up on the library's Beanstack website or download the Beanstack app.
- When you register, stop by the library to pick up your prize.
- As you complete milestones for 25, 50, and 75 books read, you'll get a small prize and pin.
- Teens in 6-8th grade: when you complete the Before High School challenge, you'll get a High School Survival kit and your final pin.
- Teens in 9-12th grade: when you finish the Before Graduation challenge, you'll receive a special graduation gift and pin.
When Should You Start?
At any point, while you're still a 6-12th grade student. The earlier you sign up, though, the more time you have to finish.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO COMPLETE?
100 books sounds like a lot, but you have all of 6-8th grade and 9-12th grade to finish it.
WHAT SHOULD You READ?
Anything you like! Comics, manga, short stories, books of poems, long fantasy novels, anything counts, even audiobooks. All those books your teachers have you read in class? Those count too.
DO YOU HAVE TO READ 100 DIFFERENT BOOKS?
Nope. If you read the same book 15 times, count each reading. Rereading helps you develop a deeper understanding and read with greater fluency.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The benefits are enormous. Reading helps improve reading achievement and comprehension, writing, vocabulary, and general knowledge to improve empathy, understanding of self and others, and wellbeing (Buchan, 2020). PLUS awesome prizes!
Buchan, J., 2020. Keeping teenagers reading. National Library of New Zealand. Available at: https://natlib.govt.nz/blog/posts/keeping-teens-reading.