Weekend wait times are averaging 1 hour or less. However, January through March are typically the busiest for passport services at Ela Area Public Library and wait times may increase substantially. Please plan accordingly.
**Please note: Applications must be printed at 100% scale. The State Department will reject any applications with a reduced size. Check printer settings for 100% scale before printing to avoid a delay to your application process.
Ela Library Passport Processing Hours*:
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
*If the wait list is longer than the library's processing hours, we may not be able to add you to the list. Please arrive earlier rather than later, particularly during evenings and weekends.
Ela Area Public Library is an official Passport Acceptance Facility, accepting DS-11 applications for passports at the Information Desk on the first floor. We accept applications every day up to one hour before the library closes
. You do not need an appointment. We take applications on a first come, first served basis and implement a wait list when necessary.
Weekend wait times are currently averaging 1 hour or less. Applicants are processed or added to the wait list only when necessary documents are complete, accurate and all parties involved are present. Inclusion on the wait list is not a guarantee that your application(s) will be executed that same day. If our wait list is longer than the amount of time the library is open, we may not be able to add you to the list. Please note that the Library does not take passport photos and does not accept credit cards for passport fees.
For further information on the passport application process please visit the U.S. State Department website.
Please also feel free to call the Ela Library Information Desk at (847) 438-3433 ext. 0. We are happy to review passport application requirements with you.
- Applications – Applications may be filled out online at www.travel.state.gov and then printed single-sided. The Library also provides applications which must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.
- Applicants and relevant parties – The applicant must be present. Both parents and children must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
- Valid photo identification - Applicants and parents of applicants under age 16 must have a valid photo ID.
- Original proof of citizenship - such as certified, original, long form birth certificates, naturalization papers, or a U.S. Passport for applicants over the age of 16.
- Current passport photo - The Library does not provide photo services, however there are several places near the Library that provide the service, such as Costco and Walgreens. Please note: eyeglasses must be removed for passport photos.
- Fees – The Library does not accept credit or debit cards. All payments made to the State Department must be made by check or money order. The processing fee to the Library can be made by check or cash. For specific fee information, please contact the Library.
Note: The U. S. State Department has strict photo guidelines
and acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U. S. passport agency. This is a general overview and not all situations are covered. Please contact the Library at: 847-438-3433 ext. 0 or visit www.travel.state.gov
for more detailed information about passports.
Adult Passport renewals are easy to do. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit www.travel.state.gov
and download form DS-82 along with the instructions. You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. Passport:
It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
Was issued within the last 15 years; (not expired more than 5 years) and
Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
Complete the application and mail the application, payment, and the passport to the address on the form. A trip to an acceptance facility is not necessary! The Library does not accept mail-in renewal applications. Adult renewals are done by the adult and acceptance agencies do not accept these applications.
Anyone applying for a first time passport must apply in person using form DS-11. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued (a 5 year passport) you can not renew.
Applications may be filled out online at www.travel.state.gov
and then printed single-sided. The Library also provides applications which must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.The application must be filled out completely including the social security number. We will not accept applications without social security numbers.
For detailed fee information, visit the State Department's website
. The Library does not accept credit or debit cards.
All payments made to the State Department must be made by check or money order. The processing fee to the Library can be made by check or cash. For specific fee information, please contact the Library. Only the following forms of payment are accepted:
- Personal checks
- Money Orders
- Certified Check
Courier companies, also known as “passport expeditors,” are private companies, some of which are allowed to submit passport applications on behalf of customers. Read the State Department's FAQs for courier services.
- These companies do not operate as a part of the U.S. Department of State.
- You will not receive your passport any faster than you would if you applied in person at a Passport Agency.
- Courier companies charge additional fees for their services.
- You are still required to appear in person at an acceptance facility if applying on Form DS-11, even when using a courier service.
Round Lake Area Library
906 Hart Road
Round Lake, IL 60073
Monday - Thursday 9 am - 8 pm
Friday & Saturday 9 am - 4 pm
Sunday 12 noon - 3 pm
Prospect Heights Memorial Library
12 N. Elm Street
Prospect Heights, IL 60070
Monday - Thursday 10 am - 8:30 pm
Friday 10 am - 5:30 pm
Saturday 10 am - 4:30 pm
Sundays (Labor Day through Memorial day only) 1 pm - 4:30 pm
3050 N. Main St
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
M-F 9 am-3 pm
West Deerfield Township
601 Deerfield Rd
Deerfield, IL 60015
Schaumburg Post Office Woodfield Branch
651 Mall Drive
Schaumburg, IL 60173
M-F 10am-3pm, Saturday 10am-12 noon
Algonquin Post Office
801 W Algonquin Rd.
Algonquin, IL 60102
M-F 9am-2pm, Saturday by appointment