Passport Processing Services at the Library Closed until Further Notice
- Many Illinois facilities are experiencing service disruptions due to COVID-19. Please call ahead before visiting any passport facility.
- For further information on the passport application process, delays due to COVID-19 closures, and application restrictions, please call the State Department at 877-487-2778 or visit the U.S. State Department website.
Information for Passport Applicants
What do I need to apply for a passport book or card?
- Applications – Applications may be filled out online at travel.state.gov and then printed single-sided. The Library also provides applications which must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.
- Applicants and relevant parties – The applicant must be present. Both parents and children must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
- Valid photo identification - Applicants and parents of applicants under age 16 must have a valid photo ID.
- Original proof of citizenship - such as certified, original, long form birth certificates, naturalization papers, or a U.S. Passport for applicants over the age of 16.
- Current passport photo - The Library does not provide photo services, however there are several places near the Library that provide the service, such as Costco and Walgreens. Please note: eyeglasses must be removed for passport photos.
- Fees – The Library does not accept credit or debit cards. All payments made to the State Department must be made by check or money order. The processing fee to the Library can be made by check or cash. For specific fee information, please contact the Library.
Adult Passport RenewalsAdult Passport renewals are easy to do. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit travel.state.gov and download form DS-82 along with the instructions. You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. Passport:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- Was issued within the last 15 years; (not expired more than 5 years) and
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
Where can I obtain a passport application?
Courier companies, also known as “passport expeditors,” are private companies, some of which are allowed to submit passport applications on behalf of customers. Read the State Department's FAQs for courier services.
- These companies do not operate as a part of the U.S. Department of State.
- You will not receive your passport any faster than you would if you applied in person at a Passport Agency.
- Courier companies charge additional fees for their services.
- You are still required to appear in person at an acceptance facility if applying on Form DS-11, even when using a courier service.